Awareness Raising Ideas/Resources
- When you organize a fundraising activity, plan to create awareness as well.
- Facilitate an Awareness Button campaign: button campaign instructions
- Be knowledgeable about the global issue affecting girls/women: The Facts About Girls Education
- Encourage your Campus Council to get involved: Why for Campus Councils Activity
Host a Documentary Viewing Party
There are many documentaries that can help you educate your community about our cause. Check out two of our favorites:
Half the Sky the Documentary
Here is a resource that will help you process the Half The Sky documentary:
CofS Impact Program_HTS Salon Toolkit Discussion Guide
Request a Speaker
Circle of Sisterhood volunteers are talented women who regularly speak at conferences and campus events. Are you interested in inviting a Circle of Sisterhood representative to speak about global issues affecting women and the impact sorority women are having around the world? Great! Here is what we can offer:
1. If you have a small group of less than 75 people: We will arrange a Skype/Facetime session for a chapter or small group meeting.
2. If you have a medium-sized group of more than 75 but fewer than 150 people: We will do our best to find an area volunteer to speak to your campus for the price of travel expenses. If we cannot find a local CofS rep on the date you’ve scheduled, we will coordinate a Skype/Facetime session.
3. A keynote speaker for your entire sorority community (200+ ppl): We will work with you to secure the best speaker we have available for a community-wide program about the Circle of Sisterhood. There may be a fee involved with this type of program to cover the speaker’s travel expenses and a gift to the Circle of Sisterhood.
To request a speaker, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Else Can You Do?
Because we have very limited staff we are often in need of dedicated individuals who can help advance our cause. Contact us to let us know of your interest in volunteering. We will make every effort to match your skills, abilities and interests with our needs as soon as possible.
Understand Why It’s Important to Help Girls Achieve Education
Personally become knowledgeable about the issues by increasing your own understanding of the violent and oppressive treatment of women across the globe. Such abuses needlessly claim the life of one woman per minute. Some ideas:
- To learn more,read the book Half the Sky or stream the documentary. Girl Rising is another strong documentary about girls’ education around the world.
- Help us identify and encourage qualified organizations to submit a grant application here.
- Check out the numerous resources on this Take Action page.
Leverage Your Influence as a Sorority Woman
You can help the Circle of Sisterhood multiply our reach to individuals, organizations and other campus or community groups. And you can help us reach the thousands of sorority women who don’t yet know about the Circle of Sisterhood or our mission to help girls and women around the world go to school. As educated women, we have the ability to influence others to take action and help uplift our less fortunate sisters around the world. How?
- Tell you sorority sisters, family, friends, neighbors, etc. about the good you are doing as a sorority woman and engage them in the cause as well. Use social media.
- Share our cause and impact with as many sorority sisters as you can – whether you are an alumna or an undergraduate.
- If you’re a collegiate sorority member, talk to your campus advisor and/or sorority leaders. Educate them and encourage their involvement.
- If you’re an alumna sorority member, talk to your local alumnae club about how your group might get involved in helping send more women and girls to school.
- Work with a sorority friend to host a fundraiser, and invite anyone who has an interest in helping girls go to school.
Help Us Establish a Presence in the Global Community
The Circle of Sisterhood hopes to be a major contributor in uplifting the spirit of women worldwide through our visual identity, web presence and social media activity. How?
- We regularly post on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and our Blog. You can make an impact by sharing what we share. Together, our voices are stronger, and we can leverage the collective influence of sorority women across North America to make a difference for our sisters worldwide.
- Use your own voice. Blog, vlog, pin, tweet, Instagram, and post anywhere you have a social media presence about the efforts you and your sorority community have undertaken to support the Circle of Sisterhood and improve the plight of women and girls around the world.